be listened to on MI/PA type loudspeakers? What do you think?
be listened to on MI/PA type loudspeakers? What do you think?
Depends on the gear. If it has wideband, ~flat response, go for it (though more PA gear would come closer to that requirement than MI). Otherwise, no.
Recordings by definition produce a likeness of the original. Reproduction should do just that; re-produce the original.
OTOH, marketing distinctions between MI/PA and HIFI can be misleading. There's plenty of MI/PA gear that can do a far better job of reproduction than some gear sold as HIFI...
OT... did you dodge the dust bowl?
"[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]
[I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.
Thanks for your reply, bfish. The dust storm was in the more northern States.
Cheers, Marshall.
I know a number of live sound engineers who will listen to rock on nothing but PA gear. A matter of taste, I suppose.
In a related vein, would Reggae even exist if there were no sound systems? The PA is a big part of the music. Would Rock exist without amplification?

Hmmm certainly a good point. But a distinction needs to be made between "originator" and "reproducer".
Guitarists actually audition speakers to find certain colorations, it is considered desirable. But using that to reproduce what he's doing, you will get extra coloration. Maybe not desirable.
PA speakers generally aren't as flat at the extremes. They will however play a lot louder, and the human ear flattens out a lot at higher volumes.
It's difficult to play rock and even some classical at realistic levels with 89 db/watt efficiency speakers.
In any situation, there are trade-offs. He who is successful is the one who manages those trade-offs best,
Back in the day, Quincy Jones, a hotshot recording producer, kept a 6x9 car radio speaker on his desk. He wouldn't OK a record till he heard it on that.![]()
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
Some of the more memorable experiences of my youth occurred with a dash mounted 6 x 9 playing in the background.Back in the day, Quincy Jones, a hotshot recording producer, kept a 6x9 car radio speaker on his desk. He wouldn't OK a record till he heard it on that
Suppose ole Quinc' had a specific target audience in mind?![]()
Not all vegetables make good leaders.
Bookmarks